Skip to content


How can I get a copy certificate?

The services listed on this page are for births, marriages and deaths since 1st July 1837 and civil partnerships since 5th December 2005, that took place in Hertfordshire, UK only. (Note: we do not hold records for the London Borough of Barnet.)

Registration Certificate Archive
All birth, death, marriage and civil partnership registers are held at the Hertfordshire Registration Certificate Archive at The Old Courthouse, St Albans Road East, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 0ES.

Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday - 09.00 - 16.00, Friday - 09.00 - 15.00

How do I obtain a copy certificate?
Applications may be made in any of the following ways:
Online, from one of the links below. This method uses secure online card payment. Please ensure that you are able to supply all of the required information, as mentioned below.
-Birth certificates
-Marriage certificates
-Civil Partnership certificates
-Death certificates

By telephone, with a credit/debit card on: 0300 123 4045
By post: download a Copy Certificate application below, complete and return by post to: Registration Certificate Archive, The Old Courthouse, St Albans Road East, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL10 0ES

If an event has occurred within the last six months, please contact the office before placing an internet order on 0300 123 4045 (option 2).

Registration Certificate Archive does not hold information regarding any divorce. This paperwork can be obtained by contacting your local court or by calling Divorce Registry on 0207 947 6000.

What information do I need?
You must know the date and place in Hertfordshire where the birth, death or marriage occurred, and the name(s) of the person(s) involved. It is not possible to supply a Copy Certificate where insufficient information has been given.
You may find it more helpful to contact the district office by telephone first to make sure you have the right district, and to establish whether the record is indeed held by the office - records pertaining to recent events may be still being held by the Church where the event took place, for instance. There is a charge for the certified copy (see below).

What will I have to pay?
Online application(s) (priority service) - £15.00
Telephone application(s) (priority service) - £20.00
Postal application(s) (priority service) - £20.00
Postal application(s) (non-priority service) - £10.00
While You Wait certificate - £25.00

Prices are inclusive of postage and packaging. Please note: payment for postal applications can be made by credit/debit card or by a cheque/postal order payable to Hertfordshire County Council.

How long will it take?
Priority Service: Your copy certificate will be sent out within one working day of receipt of your application. However, we cannot guarantee this priority service if the information we receive is inaccurate or insufficient.
Non-Priority Service: Your copy certificate will be posted after 5 working days.
While You Wait: Your copy certificate will be produced while you wait in reception at The Old Courthouse, Hatfield.

What if I do not have all the correct information?
If you only have the GRO reference number, you must apply to the General Register Office at: PO Box 2, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD or (0300 123 1837) or on their website
Alternatively, you can contact the Hertfordshire Archives Local Studies Library (HALS) - see their website link, or visit any Hertfordshire Public Library and see the indexes free of charge on

What do I do to get a copy certificate of a birth, death or marriage before 1837?
Events recorded before 1st July 1837 may have been recorded in Church Baptismal, Marriage and Burial registers that may be in the custody of the local archivist. The Hertfordshire Archives Local Studies Library (HALS) will be able to advise you.

Note: We have discontinued the availability of the Short Certificate of Birth for online ordering. This type of certificate can be purchased by personal or postal application. The Standard Certificate of Birth is now the only type of Birth Certificate available for ordering online (the Passport Office will only accept the Standard Certficate of Birth.