Skip to content

Comment, compliment and complain

The county council is committed to listening to service users and dealing with any complaints you may have promptly and effectively. We aim to learn from your views, helping us to improve and develop the services we provide.

If you would like to comment, compliment or complain about any of our services please use the online form here. 

This page is available in Easy Read.

We will acknowledge all complaints within three working days and provide you with a full response, or a plan to investigate your complaint where it is likely to take longer, within ten working days. Email will be used where appropriate to do so. More details about our complaints procedure and our Customer Service Standards can be found below:

Complaints may also be made by phone or in writing.  If you would rather speak to somebody directly about the issue you can contact our Customer Service Centre on 0300 123 4040 or find the contact details of the departmental complaints managers here. Some matters are best dealt with in other ways (please use the links below):

  • To report a highway fault (pothole, faulty streetlight etc), or use our other online services, visit our Tell us section.
  • To request information or explanation about a county council policy or decision, please contact your local county councillor.
  • To complain about the conduct of a county councillor please use the form here.
  • To complain about a decision relating to school admissions or exclusions you should contact the appeals team.
  • To complain about a Hertfordshire school please read the information here.
  • To inform us about a consumer complaint i.e. a complaint against a trader, or the goods and / or services provided by a trader, please visit our consumer advice pages.
  • To make or discuss an insurance or compensation claim.
  • To report fraud or corruption please click here.

Our aim is to resolve as many complaints as possible through these procedures.  If however our responses fail to satisfy your complaint you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is completely independent and can investigate complaints of injustice caused by maladministration. For details of the Ombudsman or to submit your complaint online please visit