Older and Disabled Persons Bus Pass
The Free Bus Pass Scheme allows free off-peak travel* across England on local bus services for older and disabled people.
*Off-peak travel is from 9:30am to 11pm on weekdays and all day over the weekend and bank holidays.
Hertfordshire residents have additional hours of use and can travel on local bus services in Hertfordshire, London and across into Luton, Bedford and other areas where the journey has started in Hertfordshire or with the agreement between the authorities of each area (please check this with the operator of the service).
Who can get the older persons bus pass?
You can find out which date you are entitled to receive your bus pass by using the 'State Pension Age' calculator available at www.gov.uk. Please enter the information as a woman even if you are a man. This is the date you will qualify for a pass - you do not need to re-check this on our bus pass page.
To apply for the older persons bus pass you need?
- A recent passport-style photo
- Proof of residency - such as a council tax bill, driving licence, recent utility bill
- Proof of age - for example a passport, birth certificate, driving licence, pension book
When will my pass arrive?
Your pass should arrive within 10 working days of your form being returned to us. It will be valid for up to five years from the date of issue.
Post completed application forms with copies of supporting documents to:
Concessionary Travel Team
PO Box 153
Hertfordshire SG1 2GH
Call 0300 123 4050
- If you have not been contacted and your pass is out of date
- To make payments by credit or debit card for a damaged, lost or stolen pass
- For further information
For Bus Pass Renewals
You will be contacted by us when your bus pass is due for renewal.
For Damaged, Lost or Stolen passes
A £10 charge is charged for the replacement of a damaged, lost or stolen pass. You will not be charged for replacing a stolen pass if the Police have issued a valid Crime Reference Number.
- Intalink - Hertfordshire Travel Information
- Direct Gov - Bus Pass
- Railcards - family, older people, student, disabled
HCC is not responsible for the content of external web sites.