In the Local Studies Library, visitors can see printed and published materials. These include books and pamphlets, newspapers and periodicals, parish registers on microfilm, directories, theses, maps and photographs. You can use the Ancestry.com and Findmypast.co.uk websites for free in all Hertfordshire libaries.
Your family history - get started!
Family History Surgeries
Are you stuck with your family history research? This one hour session with a Hertfordshire Archives expert will guide you through the resources you need for the next steps in your search.
- One hour pre-booked session 10.00 - 15.30
- Available Tuesday to Friday
- Cost £5
- Booking essential
NEW! Hertfordshire parish registers are available to search on findmypast. For more information about the coverage of registers available online, visit the findmypast.co.uk page. We are equipped with all the resources and all the help you need to trace your Hertfordshire roots, plus a good range of resources for tracing ancestors elsewhere. This includes:
- Hertfordshire Names Online - An index to people, places and events with over 500,000 names from the 18th century to present day
- Microfilm/fiche readers and printers and scanner
- Indexes to births, marriages and deaths in England, Wales and overseas from 1837 to 2005
- Indexes to wills nationally up to 1940, and original Hertfordshire wills from 1415 to 1858
- International Genealogical Index of baptisms and marriages on original microfiche, 1988 (1992 version for Herts, Beds and Bucks only)
- National Burial index and Hertfordshire burials 1800-1850
- Hertfordshire census returns 1841 - 1911, plus indexes where available, and FREE access to ancestry and findmypast.co.uk. (We do not have the 1911 census on microfilm).
- Parish records, including many transcriptions - early registers on findmypast
- Allen index to pre-1837 Hertfordshire marriages
- Indexes of journals, obituaries and newspapers
- Free access to the Internet and Hertfordshire's Online Reference Library, including TheTimes from 1785 and many other resources
- Comprehensive range of family history books and guides
- Trained, experienced staff offering help and guidance
Family history Links
- General Register Office
- Free BMD
- BBC family history page
- Family Search
- Hertfordshire Genealogy
- Society of Genealogists
HCC is not responsible for the content of external websites
HCC is not responsible for the content of external web sites.