In the Local Studies Library, visitors can see printed and published materials. These include books and pamphlets, newspapers and periodicals, parish registers on microfilm, directories, theses, maps, photographs, a range of CD-ROMS and access the internet. You can use the Ancestry and findmypast.co.uk websites for free in all Hertfordshire libaries.
Your family history - get started!
Family History Surgeries
Are you stuck with your family history research? This one hour session with a Hertfordshire Archives expert will guide you through the resources you need for the next steps in your search.
- One hour pre-booked session 10.00 - 15.30
- Available Tuesday to Friday
- Cost £5
- Booking essential
We are equipped with all the resources and all the help you need to trace your Hertfordshire roots, plus a good range of resources for tracing ancestors elsewhere. This includes:
- Hertfordshire Names Online - An index to people, places and events with over 500,000 names from the 18th century to present day
- Microfilm/fiche readers and printers and scanner
- Indexes to births, marriages and deaths in England, Wales and overseas from 1837 to 2005
- Indexes to wills nationally up to 1940, and original Hertfordshire wills from 1415 to 1858
- International Genealogical Index of baptisms and marriages on original microfiche, 1988 (1992 version for Herts, Beds and Bucks only)
- National Burial index and Hertfordshire burials 1800-1850
- Hertfordshire census returns 1841 - 1911, plus indexes where available, and FREE access to ancestry and findmypast.co.uk. (We do not have the 1911 census on microfilm).
- Parish records, including many transcriptions - early registers on findmypast
- Allen index to pre-1837 Hertfordshire marriages
- Indexes of journals, obituaries and newspapers
- Free access to the Internet and Hertfordshire's Online Reference Library, including TheTimes from 1785 and many other resources
- Comprehensive range of family history books and guides
- Trained, experienced staff offering help and guidance
Family history Links
- General Register Office
- Free BMD
- BBC family history page
- Family Search
- Hertfordshire Genealogy
- Society of Genealogists
HCC is not responsible for the content of external websites
HCC is not responsible for the content of external web sites.