Skip to content

Making an In Year Application

What is an In Year admission?

An In Year admission is when a child already attends a school but wishes to transfer to another school outside of the usual transfer time, for example because the child is moving to a new address. These transfers take place during the academic year, which is why they are referred to as In Year admissions.  Please see below for information on how to apply for a school place.

How do I make an application?

Making an application depends on which school or schools you wish to apply for:

Schools in Hertfordshire: The 'School Directories' link on the left provides information on how to apply to every school in Hertfordshire and will direct you to the relevant application form. Some schools accept applications direct - these schools are clearly indicated in the directory and are listed at the end of the In Year application form.

The Hertfordshire County Council In Year application form can be completed online and is a secure, quick and easy way to apply. Please use the links below to apply. Alternatively, you can print the pdf version of the application form available at the bottom of the page, complete it and post it to: In Year Admissions Team, County Hall CHR 102, Pegs Lane, Hertford, SG13 8DF

You must ask your child's current school to complete and return Part A of the application form. If you cannot get Part A completed, for example, if the school is closed due to holidays, please add an explanatory note to your application. Please ensure that you send us proof of address and any additional documents needed by email or by post. If you do not enclose these documents  your application will be delayed.

We aim to process your application within 10 working days of receipt of all necessary documents, although at busy times this can take longer. May to September is a particularly busy period for In Year admissions and you should allow up to 15 working days for your application to be processed during this time.

Important note: If your child is already on a school’s continuing interest list, he/she will be removed from that list on the last day of the summer term. If you would like your child to be considered for a place that becomes available after the end of term, you must make a new In Year application. Please complete the 2014-15 application form below to apply .

Application forms

In Year application form 2014-15

Part A - to be completed by current school

Schools outside Hertfordshire: If you wish to apply to a school outside Hertfordshire, you should contact the relevant local authority for more information. Do not apply to these schools on the Hertfordshire County Council application form .  

How can I find out further information?

For further information and advice, you should read the guidance booklet below before you make your application.

In Year application guidance booklet

Hertfordshire schools are very popular and many will already be full in some or all year groups. The link on the left, 'Vacancy Information at Hertfordshire Schools', shows which schools may have vacancies based on current pupil numbers at the school. This information is usually updated every two weeks (except during school holidays). Please note it may not be possible to offer your child at a school with a vacancy if another child with a higher priority for admission has also made an application . 

You can use the link 'Find your nearest school' to find schools closest to your home address.

It will not always be possible to offer you a place at the school you want for your child. Admission arrangements decide which children get a place when there are more applications than places available. These arrangements must be fair and follow the requirements of the School Admissions Code 2012. Use the link 'School Directories'on the left for information on the admission arrangements for individual schools and for details of the schools in each area. If you are not offered a place at the school or schools applied for you will be informed of your right to appeal. The link on the left, 'In Year Appeals', explains how to request an appeal form. Please note that you can only appeal after you have applied for a school place and received a letter to refuse admission .

The link on the left 'Frequently Asked Questions' provides information on the more commonly asked queries about In Year admissions .