Working with Business
If you are in business and the goods or service you provide are eventually sold to the public, it is likely that we can help you with advice on trading standards law that applies to you.
Follow our links to get the information you need, if you can't see the information you require, select 'contact us' to find out how you can reach your local trading standards department.
- Customised business advice for your business
For advice tailored to your requirements, select customised business advice or visit our ERWIN website
- Business advice and information
includes a wide variety of business advice guidance and leaflets
- Retailer advice: warnings about illicit and dangerous goods
Warning retailers to be vigilant following a number of problems found recently in Hertfordshire
- Metrology Laboratory
What we can calibrate & the service we can provide
- Home / Primary Authority Principle
What is it - how does it affect me in business
- Enforcement Promise
Information about the enforcement concordat and HCC.
- Licences & Registrations from Hertfordshire Trading Standards
Who issues what in the County & how to get those issued by Trading Standards
- My Incubator
Trading Standards link up with My Incubator to launch a new exciting free service to all Hertfordshire based businesses.
- Public Weighbridges
Guidance notes for proprietors and operators
- Public Weighbridges in Hertfordshire
List of weighbridges in the county
Consumers have the right to expect goods or services they buy are accurately described and fairly priced, with honest credit or hire terms offered. Businesses have the right to trade on equal terms.
Part of our work is to ensure that consumers are treated fairly by traders supplying those goods or services. This involves :
- Investigating fair trading complaints.
- Examining prices and descriptions.
- Monitoring advertisements, catalogues and brochures.
- Checking credit and hire agreements.
- Prosecuting companies who disregard the law.
The best way of ensuring standards of honesty and fair competition are met is working with you, the business community. We are here to help and advise, not just to protect consumers by making sure you toe the legal line.
What will it cost me?
In terms of advice from Hertfordshire Trading Standards, NOTHING, but by not trading fairly you risk :
- Loss of business.
- Claims for consumer redress.
The cost of breaking the law could be financially disastrous so it is in your interests to maintain a fair and honest market place that benefits both the general public and the business community.
What laws apply to my business?
The other headings in this list should help you understand the basic requirements, but if you still have unanswered questions then you may wish to try some of the suggested links or you can contact the department by selecting 'contact us'
Our highly trained staff can offer :
- Free and up to date advice, specifically for your business.
- Leaflets explaining the law in detail.
If you wish to give feedback about the Trading Standards pages on this website, or about the way we undertake our work then please select 'Trading Standards Feedback'
- Buy With Confidence Scheme
- General Product Safety Regulations 2005
- Product Safety in Europe: A Guide to corrective action including recalls
- Directgov: Consumer Rights
- Food Standards Agency
- Office of Fair Trading
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Companies House
HCC is not responsible for the content of external web sites.