British Schools Museum (The Hitchin British Schools Trust)
41/42 Queen Street
Phone(s): 01462 420144
Fax: 01462 422133
Web pages: www.britishschoolsmuseum.co.uk/
Travel through time at the museum where learning comes to life to see how school and home life have changed over the last 200 years.
The unassuming frontage to this fascinating group of grade II and grade II listed schoolrooms and buildings only hints at the treasures which you will discover within. Atleast an hour will be required to explore the four classrooms set up to depict school life in the pre-Victorian, Victorian, Edwardian and WW2 eras and after that there are the Headmaster's House, Exhibition Room and Museum Discovery Room to enjoy too!
The Museum is open from the Tuesday of the February Half-Term week until the last
Tuesday in November at the following times:-
- Tuesdays from 10am to 4pm
- Saturdays from 10am to 1pm
- Sundays from 2pm to 5pm
- Also, Wednesdays from 10am to 4pm during some school holidays
As an independent museum and a registered charity there is a small entrance charge, please check the website for current prices and details of our family discount tickets.
Entry to the cafe and gift shop is free.
The museum's large volunteer team were honoured with the Queen's Award for Voluntary
Service in 2012. Ifyou would like to join our award-winning team, please email
firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01462-420144 for more information.
- Level access to nearly all museum displays
- Disabled parking on site can be reserved
- Please phone 01462-420144 to reserve spaces or for more information.
Travel and Parking
- Approximate driving times from surrounding towns:- Stevenage 15 mins, Hatfield 20 mins, St Albans 30 mins, Bedford 40 mins.
- Details of local car parking can be found on the North Herts District Council website. The nearest is the pay and display car park 2 minutes walk away by St Mary's Church.
- Cycle parking on site
- Hitchin Railway Station is exactly 1 mile from the museum.
Registered charity number: 1010345
The information provided by external organisations is for general guidance only. Hertfordshire County Council does not endorse or recommend any of the external organisations, services or information listed on this website. While Hertfordshire County Council aims to provide accurate and up to date information we cannot guarantee at any time that all the information is up to date and accurate. Hertfordshire County Council cannot accept liability for misleading or inaccurate information or omissions in information given to us by external information providers. Any images displayed on this page are subject to copyright legislation and must not be reproduced without the owner’s permission.