Skip to content


 District and Borough councils handle planning applications for:

·        new houses and extensions
·        shops
·        industrial buildings (such as warehousing etc.)

You can print maps for planning applications in Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies and Welwyn Garden City Central Library and Information Service.


The County Council deals with minerals (mostly sand and gravel quarries) and waste, together with building for its own service development.  The service development includes schools, fire stations, and new roads such as bypasses. 

Search for a planning application for minerals, waste and county council sites (please use the 'keywords' field, leaving the other fields blank).

Minerals and waste planning policy

We are required to prepare Waste and Minerals Planning Documents for the county. These set planning policies for mineral extraction and waste management in the county. They also identify potentially suitable sites for facilities. This is a separate function to the county council's responsibility as waste disposal authority, where contracts are arranged for the disposal of Local Authority Collected Waste.

Planning policy documents relating to minerals planning and waste planning can be found using the 'Planning in Hertfordshire' link on this page.  Minerals development in Hertfordshire is mostly about sand and gravel quarries although a few chalk quarries and one clay quarry also operate/work. 

Waste development can include landfills, waste recycling, bulking and transfer stations, anaerobic digesters and energy from waste plants.

Planning permission is required for development, meaning both new buildings, additions to buildings, quarries and landfills and what use a building may be put to.

Transport planning

The planning department develops policies for transport in Hertfordshire and produces a Local Transport Plan setting strategic objectives for the county’s transport system.  We also ensure that these policies and objectives are reflected in district councils' Local Development Frameworks/Local Plans.

Planning advice provided to Local Planning Authorities

The county council provides advice to Local Planning Authorities on the scale, location and quality of development in the county and any potential highway and environmental impacts of planning applications they are determining. The county council also has input into the Local Plans developed by District/Borough Councils.

Land searches

Land searches related to minerals and waste records are carried out by the spatial planning unit.  Enquiries about details of minerals or waste operations (quarries, waste facilities, landfill or contaminated land in relation to these operations) on or adjoining properties or parcels of land should be directed to:-

Responses will be provided detailing any mineral and/or waste planning records held by the unit.  The county council has a separate land charges unit.

The district/borough councils and the Environment Agency deal with other contaminated land enquiries.