Skip to content


Applying for a work permit

Applying for a Work Permit

Employers who wish to employ a school aged child (age 13 – 16) in paid or unpaid work work in Hertfordshire need to apply to Hertfordshire County Council for a Work Permit which gives approval for the named child to work with the employer.

Employers can obtain an application form for a Work Permit via the link: Application for a work permit to employ a school age child.

Prospective employers must sign the application form to confirm that:

  • The proposed work and hours meets the requirements as set out in the information on Employing school aged children.
  • That they have carried out an appropriate risk assessment before the child starts work and that they inform the parent of the child of any risks and the measure taken to reduce the risks
  • They will employ the child in accordance with the law and that necessary insurance is in place for the employment

The child’s parents / guardian need to sign a declaration on the application form that they consent to the employment.

The complete application form needs to be returned to the local ISL Attendance Team who cover the area where the child will be employed. The addresses of the local teams are given on the application form.

The work permit will be sent to the employer once the application has been approved. The employer must give the work permit to the child as the child may be asked to show the work permit at any time during their employment.

If the proposed employment is outside Hertfordshire, an application form must be obtained from the Local Authority where the child will be working and returned to that authority for approval.

Data protection – Information Storing and Sharing statement

Hertfordshire County Council (HCC), Children's Services regards the lawful and correct treatment of personal information as very important to carrying out its operations successfully and to maintaining confidence between those with whom we deal and ourselves.  We ensure that our organisation treats personal information lawfully and correctly.

HCC, Children's Services needs to collect and use certain types of information about people with whom it deals in order to operate and any details of the services we provide or information about you or your family will be stored and used in strict accordance with our registration under the Data Protection Act 1998.

In order to provide effective services for children and young people, information provided may be shared with other Children's Services teams within HCC, where there is a service requirement.

Provided by Hertfordshire County Council’s School Age Employment Officer (revised December 2013)