Severe weather, flooding and cold snaps
Severe weather can happen at any time of the year and climate change is likely to cause more frequent and severe extremes of weather.
Snow and ice can make driving conditions and pavements hazardous, affecting people's daily routines and leaving some people isolated. It can also put older people at risk of heart and respiratory problems.
If a cold snap is forecast:-
- Stock up on essential food items.
- Carry essentials in your vehicle; these include your mobile phone and charger, warm, waterproof clothes and footwear, blanket, food, water, torch and first aid kit.
- Inform others of your intended travel arrangements and expected arrival time.
- Use main routes during your journey as these are more likely to have been gritted.
- Check on neighbours, particularly the elderly.