Skip to content

Extra money for your housing costs

Claiming benefits can be complicated. The information in these pages is intended as a general guide. There are special rules for some people from abroad, for some students and for young people aged 16/17. You should seek further advice from one of the organisations listed in the end section if you are in one of these groups.

Major changes are happening to the benefit and tax credit system, in particular the gradual introduction of a new benefit, the universal credit.  This will affect working age people and replace income support, income-based job seeker’s allowance, income-related employment and support allowance, housing benefit, working tax credit and child tax credit.  It is likely to be rolled out nationally for new claims from 2016.  When this happens, help with housing costs will be provided through universal credit for new claims.

These pages tell you about the help available to meet housing costs before and after the introduction of universal credit – part 1 covers rent, part 2 mortgage costs.

This printable leaflet provides a summary of extra money for your housing costs.