Hertfordshire County Council works hard to keep the county running smoothly all year round. Please take extra care when out and about during periods of bad weather, particularly on the roads.
We've put together the information below to help you get on with life whatever the weather.
To help you to plan ahead, keep up to date with the latest forecasts from the Met Office.
To get information about flooding including flood warnings and how to prepare in case of flooding visit the Environment Agency website.
The headteacher and governors of each school make their own decisions about whether to close in bad weather, based on their individual circumstances. Schools are expected to be open as usual whenever possible. However, during periods of snowfall we have a notification system which enables schools to report if they are open or closed; you can check to see your school's status on this website during these periods. Please note the system is cleared at midday each day so you will need to check after this time for further updates. Schools will also notify parents through existing channels.
Children's Centres and Early Years Settings
The manager of each children’s centre, pre-school, day nursery or out of school club will make their own decisions about whether to close in bad weather, based on their individual circumstances. During periods of snowfall or other adverse weather conditions we have a notification system which enables these settings to report if they are open or closed. You can check to see the status of these settings on this website during these periods. Please note the system is cleared at midday each day so you will need to check after this time for further updates. The children’s centres and other settings will also notify parents through existing channels.
Hertfordshire County Council's Winter Maintenance service is coordinated across the county by highways staff, who are on 24-hour stand-by during the season.
Information on road closures is also available on the Road Works page
For up-to-date information about bus travel around the county, including information about disruptions or delays due to bad weather, go to the intalink website.
Older people and people with disabilities
Please check on vulnerable neighbours during bad weather conditions. Bad weather can make it difficult for older people and people with disabilities to go out and to keep well and warm at home.
If you, or someone you know, can't go out shopping as usual because the weather is bad, you could:
- Use a meals delivery service.
- Have groceries delivered by the local milkman. The council has joined forces with milk&more to offer a discount on your first order either over the phone or online. You can place a regular order or just when you need it.
We have contingency plans in place to ensure that the most vulnerable people continue to receive their services and that others know when services aren't available.
Advice and practical help to cope with the cold
HertsHelp is a network of hundreds of community organisations working together. They can help you to get the practical support, guidance and information you need to get through the winter. Call 0300 123 4044 or email email@example.com
There is extra support available to vulnerable Hertfordshire residents this winter to help them keep warm in their homes. For information about the range of help available as well as tips on keeping warm and well.
To find out whether your local library is open as usual, go to the libraries pages.
Winter fire safety
Don’t be tempted to take safety shortcuts and put yourself at risk from fire in an effort to keep your house warm. See our winter fire safety pages for tips and advice.
Household waste recycling centres
To find out about local travel and weather, listen to the following radio stations or visit their websites:
- Heart 101.7 Essex for Harlow. Areas covered: Hertford, Ware, Cheshunt, Broxboune, Bishop's Stortford, Hoddesdon, Sawbridgeworth, Much Hadham
- BBC Three Counties Radio 103.8fm/92.1fm/90.4fm/630mw/1161mw. Areas covered: The whole of Hertfordshire
- Heart 96.6 Hertfordshire (previously Mercury 96.6). Areas covered: Watford, Hemel Hempstead, St Albans, Rickmansworth, Berkhamsted, Redbourn, Borehamwood, Kings Langley, Radlett
- Mix 96 (96.2fm). Areas covered: Tring and Berkhamsted
- 106 Bob FM Hertfordshire and Home Counties. Areas covered: Stevenage, Letchworth, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield, Hitchin, Ware, Hertford
- Heart 103 Cambridgeshire. Areas covered: Royston
- Heart 96.9 Home Counties (previously Heart 96.9 Bedford). Areas covered: Letchworth, Hitchin, Baldock
- Heart 97.6 Home Counties for Beds, Bucks, Herts (previously Heart 97.6 Dunstable). Areas covered: St Albans, Stevenage, Hemel Hempstead, Hitchin, Berkhamstead, Harpenden
- Radio Verulam 92.6. Areas covered: St Albans, Harpenden, London Colney, Colney Heath, Radlett and Shenley
- Watford's Vibe 107.6FM. Areas covered: Watford, Rickmansworth, Kings Langley, Tring and Berkhamsted